This project involved renovations and historic restoration of 300,000 square feet of the original granite exterior American Thread complex in Willimantic, Connecticut. The building was restored and converted to industrial, research and office uses as part of a State of Connecticut DECD and local initiative. This project, located along the Willimantic River, originally constructed in the 1860’s grew to over 600,000 square feet with 3 locations of manmade hydro power to run early equipment. The original granite structures were preserved and the site around the buildings transformed into the first “State Heritage Park.” This was the first time since the building was built that average citizens had access to the riverfront.
Location: Willimantic, CT
Client: State of Connecticut, DECD
Contact: Jeffrey Vose (Former Executive Director | Windham Mills Development)
Status: Completed in 2001